Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sugar Cookie Bars


I was craving these a couple weeks back and we made them for family night.  They make a TON, so it was perfect for taking a plate to a new family in our neighborhood, as well.


Sugar Cookie Bars (originally from Char Mills and posted on my sister's blog)


1 cup butter, at room temperature

2 cups granulated sugar

4 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

5 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda



1. Prepare bars: In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Mix in vanilla.

2. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt & baking soda. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased, rimmed baking sheet (use a 13 x 18/jelly roll pan). The dough will be just like cookie dough- heavy & sticky- so it’s best to spray your hands with a little nonstick spray and use them to help mold the dough into the pan.

3. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.



Frosting (Which is the real key to these!)

8 oz cream cheese

4-5 cups powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup butter

1/2 tsp almond extract or vanilla

Food coloring/Sprinkles




Yumm!




Oh, and a side note.  Anybody else buy things at the store before checking to see if they already have some??



Oops.


4 comments:

  1. I never have enough almond extract. I love the stuff. My over done spice.... pumpkin pie spice. I always have 3-4 containers of it. And I don't use it more than 1-2 times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you use Almond extract in your sugar cookies. I have a hard time eating one without it. Just adds so much flavor! The bars look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey- I needed some Almond extract the other day and I have none (that I could find anyways). Wish we were neighbors so I could have borrowed some of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that all the time. I just figure, oh well, food storage!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!