Monday, January 31, 2011

Elmo cake pops - step by step!

This is the post you've been waiting for :)


Elmo cake pops for the birthday girl on Friday. It was my biggest food project ever.  Took hours and hours.

I followed instructions from Bakerella carefully.  She knows what she's talking about.  Do not veer off from her method.



Supplies needed:
candy melts
cake mix
frosting
lollipop sticks
candy eyes
candy for noses





If you've never made cake pops or cake balls before (I hadn't) I suggest reading her post on the original cake pops.

I used a yellow cake mix and white frosting. 


Crumble the cake completely.  Mix in a can of frosting.  Mine seemed quite wet.  I kept out a few tablespoons of the frosting and I'm glad I did so.



Roll into balls; chill.  You can use fridge or freezer, but don't freeze more than about 15 min.  If you do, they will expand as they thaw and crack your candy coating.  Been there, done that.

Dip tips of sticks into melted candy melts and then into chilled balls.  Chill again briefly. 

(Sorry, some of these are yucky cell phone pics)
Coat heads in the melted chocolate, and apply eyes and mouth while wet.  You don't have much time.

Add nose and extra chocolate to make 'fur'.  The nose was a bit of conundrum for me.  I tried three options.  Here you see the tic tac.  Overall it was the best option.  The color was right and it didn't weigh much.  It bothered me that it looked rectangular, but it was okay.




Jelly bean option (this is what Bakerella used and I don't like it)



My FAVORITE - the runt nose.  SO realistic.  Unfortunately very heavy.  I tried four and two cracked right away.  In order to secure it well enough you need to press in really hard and that compromises the structure of the cake.


Isn't he CUTE?!


Love him.


But, alas, most ended up with tic tacs.  It's all good.





And I ended up doing party pops with sprinkles with the remaining balls.  One cake mix gave me 48 balls, I had 35 sticks, and only 28 pairs of eyes.  So I got creative at the end.


All in all, it was very rewarding, albeit HARD.  Especially when Rosebud said "ELMO!" as I showed her one.  Yep, totally worth it.



Today's Creative Blog





18 comments:

  1. You are talented! I hope you'll come link these up at the craft catwalk!
    http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out GREAT!! Way TO GO!! It is always nice when something you are trying turns out good! I bet you family LOVED them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out soooo good! I tried cake balls once and they are HARD! Way to go Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these elmo cake pops! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I've made cake pops before and they're very difficult. You did such a great job...I'm sure she loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are sooo darn cute! I have everything I need but the chocolate melts so as soon as I can get out in all this snow I plan on doing this!!! Way to go! brooke I am your newest follower and hope that you will come be a follower at my blog!!! brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a good job! I like that you stuck them in rice rather than the styrofoam too.
    ~Stacee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are awesome!! I love elmo! I'd love for you to link up to my new linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday!
    LittleEme.blogspot.com
    The linky will be open until this evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are quite possibly the best ones I've seen. I've been googling these and so many look a little bit scary. But not yours! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite possibly the best I've seen! I've been googling these and some of them look downright scary, but not yours! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. I bet that would work well. They are probably slightly smaller than runts. Let us know if you try it!

      Delete
  12. how did u make the mouth??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mouths are half a candy melt. Just follow Bakerella.

      Delete
  13. Love these!! Can't wait to it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Howdy! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!
    Look at my site ; Christian Louboutin Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.

    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back from now
    on. I want to encourage you continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!
    My blog post :: cheap 49ers jersey

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!