Sunday, April 1, 2012

Puppy Cake

Princess turned 7 last week, and requested a puppy cake.  Huh?  I quickly went to Pinterest for help.



Found one!

The tutorial here from Banksyface is very detailed and was simple to follow.



I began with two 9" round yellow cakes and tan tinted buttercream.



I started placing the cut pieces as shown as assembled the shape of the body.


Using tip #233, the grass/hair tip, I added fur all over.  And more fur.  And more fur.  Till it was all covered.



The nose was a tootsie roll (I thought it would be darker brown).  In hindsight I would have preferred a junior mint I think.  The eyes were beans.  The tongue a flavored tootsie roll.  The collar is ribbon.  In the example all her embellishments are fondant. 



Here you can see the roughest part for me: the front of the legs.  The vertical surface was immensely difficult to pipe fur onto.  But I perservered.





He's so cute, and I'm not even a dog lover.




One cake is never enough to feed all of us, so I made cupcakes to supplement.


The idea for the dog bone cupcakes from Scooby Doo grahams came from Nothing but Country, also via Pinterest.  But I put mine on backwards, as I didn't want the "Scooby" showing.



I think Princess was happy with her cake.  And I was so proud of it that I didn't want to cut it.  In fact, it's Sunday and we still haven't eaten the cute face!






9 comments:

  1. Love it...it is so cute :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing. I thought it was a real stuffed puppy. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's adorable! I love the grass/hair tip. You can do so much with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome!!!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very cute cake. Thanks for showing. I did the same thing as you, my princess wants a puppy cake too for her 7 th birthday. So, I immediately went to pinterest and thankfully found this. Hopefully, it will work out for me as it did for you. I think I will make a trial cake first!
    Looks great!
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your cake! Thanks for showing. My daughter is turning 7 too and asked for a puppy cake that looks like our dog, who is a chocolate lab, this will be perfect. I have some time so I think I will make a practice one first!

    Great cake!
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!