Saturday, February 7, 2015

Updated Master Bedroom









 So, in our home tour (over there ------>>>)  you've seen the master bedroom when we moved in.    Well, over the last couple months I've been adding and changing a bit.  

We ditched the apple green/ teal for a coral/teal.  So bright and new!  Here's what we did. 


Last September I came across this color palette in Better Homes and Gardens:


...and I fell in love!  

I used it as the basis for a few of my choices in there, and I'm continuing to look for a few pieces as well.  






So, most of these updates were in Sept/Oct.  But the crowning jewel happened almost without warning just the other day. We scored this new (old) bed pictured above.  A Broyhill solid cherry queen bed for $30 in the local classifieds.  Oh, how I love the classifieds!

Our old bed was bought in our first year of marriage from one of those discount furniture places.  It's held together pretty well till we turned the bed and switched walls in the master bedroom.  It turned rickety and we've really needed to replace it, but could only dream of affording a new one.

Bam!  Perfect deal.  I snatched it up immediately. 




They had a dog who scratched it up pretty good in spots, and they added painted hunter green accents in some places.  We'll strip that off down the road because for now it's great.




Look at those chunky legs!  Mwah!




One other wish was for a new comforter.  I ultimately decided to keep with the white look, but I love the added texture we got in this duvet.  I used all my birthday money on it and 4 months later I still think it's perfect.  The comforter is fluffy and incredibly warm too. 

We have a queen bed but I buy king comforters, so we don't have to fight over covers!  So far so good.



The throw pillow is my fave! It looks much too orange in this pic; it's a pretty coral shade.  Here is the stock photo:


It was my full-price splurge in the room.





I didn't get a good photo of the print over the bed, but it says 'Love You So Much' in a perfect light coral.  
I like the modern feel of the frame mixed with the traditional lines of the furniture.




We ditched our little bedside lamps for these IKEA wall sconces.  Perfect use of space and they are awesome to read before bed.



I use my grammy's old coverlet for a throw blanket in here.








 One very exciting thing is that Strider found a way to create a reading corner in this little master bedroom.  We've wanted one for years!  We pulled in an IKEA chair from the family room and rearranged till it fit.  I added a tiny ottoman from elsewhere in the house so we can prop up our feet when reading. I have a thrift store lamp there and the corner is home to Strider's guitar.





The gallery wall I'm making is about half done.







Love my puckered bedding.





This space makes me so happy.  
It's fresh and new. 
It's a refuge and a sanctuary and definitely feels separate from the rest of the home - exactly as it should be.


Thanks for touring our updated and cozy master bedroom!





Source list:

Bed: Broyhill (local classifieds find)
Seersucker duvet set: Target
Down alternative comforter : Amazon
Pink throw: my Grammy 
Teal pillow: Target clearance
Coral pillow: Society 6
Arrow chair pillow: Society 6
Lamp: D.I thrift store
Gray/silver lamp shade: Walmart
Wall sconces: IKEA (local classifieds find)
White chair slipcover: IKEA
Clock: D.I. thrift store
Ceramic owl: Ross
Love frame over bed: Marshalls
Gallery wall frames: D.I. thrift store










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!