Thursday, August 20, 2009

Low Fat Brownies

So I was intrigued by all I was hearing of ways to use use pureed beans in baked goods in place of fat (oil, butter). I needed to know if it was just as good as people said.

I cooked up a bag of dried white beans last week and froze them in one cup portions. I put the contents of one container in my little food chopper and added a bit of the water to get it to a thick gravy-ish, pastey consistency.

Here is the recipe I used, from an Amish cookbook.

Chocolate Brownies

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt

Combine ingredients. Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 about 25 min.


Well, I decided to use 1/4 cup butter plus 1/2 cup bean puree in place of 3/4 cup butter.. It was fantastic! Seriously, we loved it.

OK, I confess that I frosted them but still. They were moist and fudgy and I think it might be too dangerous to make these, even if there is less fat. YUM.

It didn't take long to gobble them up.



Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting (BH & Gardens New Cookbook)

In a medium saucepan combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, 1/4 cup buttermilk. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla. Whisk till smooth. Pour over brownies.



4 comments:

  1. My SIL has a masters in nutrition and has done mini classes in the wards I have been in. She started out telling people what the brownies were made of, before they tasted them, and no one wanted to try them. She now tells them after they try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at you using your food storage! I have heard this is good a couple of times. I haven't braved it for myself yet but I will:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try using beans. I've used applesauce in place of oil, but my baked stuff is always a little on the heavy side.
    One trick I love is I always use half white, half whole wheat flour in my baking recipes. Seriously you can't tell a difference and every little bit of fiber we can get our kids to eat helps, right? Even if it is in chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously?? I will have to try this! Of course, there's no way I'm telling my husband, even AFTER he eats them! He had a hard enough time when I told him that I put shredded zucchini in every time we have spaghetti... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!