Friday, December 30, 2011

The End

If you read this blog, you know all the goodbyes that this year has seen.  To put an exclamation point on it all my baby sister, the last remaining sister in Utah, moved to California today.

To say I will miss Jessica would be a huge understatement.  Aside from my husband, she is my best friend. If you'd told me when I was 12 and she was a new baby that we'd be this close 24 years later I would have surely laughed.  And as I type this it occurs to me that I think every one of our family members would say that Jess is the one they're closest to.  What does that say about someone?


She is the one that listens for real.  You know that kind of person; you don't have to wonder if they really heard what you said, because they remember it all and refer to it later. 

She is gentle and good-natured and funny and forgiving.  Not to mention stinkin' cute.

She is up-to-date on what's going on with everyone, so she is the glue to the family.  She keeps us close.

She has two great girls and teaches them wonderfully.

We have so many things in common, despite the age difference.  She is the perfect mix of feminine and sporty.  She shares my love of board games.  We have a passion for low tech childbirth.  We have tons of wavy hair and both wear contacts. 

She is a fantastic aunt and is more than happy to take the kids when I need help even though her own arms are full.  She loves to do my girls' nails every time they ask.
 
When I am hesitant to give up my time, she is the one to give hers away. She says yes to everyone. She shares without being asked and gives without keeping track.  I simply love her.

 

We we fortunate to have the ENTIRE family home for Christmas break last week and it was a riot.  In fact, I dubbed the week "Brown Fest" and we sucked up every possible moment together. 

Wednesday was our final opportunity to see Breaking Dawn, so we went to the movies.  We were missing Ash who had already left for Nevada, but the rest of us had waited to see it with each other so we went anyway.  Here we are after the movie.


Thursday was pack-up-the-truck day and Jess couldn't say goodbye till we'd had one more round of her new favorite game, Carcassone.










These two buds are just 6 weeks apart, and act like sisters.


Goodbye, Jess.  Enjoy San Diego and the new adventures of hubby being in school.  We love you so much and will miss you terribly!  If you're keeping track, I have said goodbye to 4 of my 5 siblings in the last 5 months.  No biggie. 



And so... we are at the end of the year of many many endings.  David, it's just you and me, bro. Gotta stick together.

So long 2011!!


3 comments:

  1. Dislike :( I'm sorry! Hang in there! I foresee a fun filled vacation to California in your near future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Jessica, beautifully written. I love and miss you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Jessica, beautifully written. I love and miss you all so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!