Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuxedo bows

Tuxedo-style Hair Clips





I stumbled upon these yesterday at see kate sew and I loved how simple and doable they looked.  But even more, I knew it would be a great use of the scraps that I'm getting sick of rifling through every time I want to do a project.  You know those pieces that are leftover from a project and you can't throw them out but you also can't stand them anymore?




Let me show you how I did them.  It's quick, and imperfect.  But I was able to get through them quickly.



I used scrap rectangles that were about 4"x6".  Some were 5"x6" (my pics are of a few different fabrics).  You also need an inch strip of the same fabric for the center.  I think ribbon would look good too, but I chose to have all matching pieces for these.




Fold in half, right sides together.  Sew shut, leaving a little open.  Turn right side out and poke out corners to a nice point (I use a knitting needle).




Now you have this little rectangle.  If you're a sewing perfectionist you can iron it at this point.  But I didn't.  I just turned under the opening and sewed that side shut.



Then you need to give it a bit of an accordion fold in the center.  Pinch it shut and hold with a binder clip or clothespin.



Take the 1" scrap and fold ends toward the middle so no raw edges are showing. 


Wrap around the center of the bow.  Sew or hot glue in place.  Line an alligator clip with ribbon and glue tuxedo bow on top.






Here you can see the difference in size; the brown one started with a 4"x6" scrap, the pink was 5"x6" at the beginning.




Cute!

   







Tip Junkie handmade projects








3 comments:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!