Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Loosening up


Here is an excerpt from Heavenly Homemakers, a blog I occasionally read.

Here are some of the lies Satan has told me in the past few weeks: “I’m not doing enough for my kids”… “I just can’t keep up with everything I need to do”… “Being a good help-meet to my husband is just SO hard”…

Oh, Satan is just so convincing. He wants me to try to be Superwoman…knowing that I will always fail.

I have to always be on guard to tell the difference between Satan’s lies and God’s truth.

When I start to recognize that I’m believing Satan’s lies about my life…I seriously tell Satan to Shut-Up! and Get Out! (We don’t say shut-up at our house…but I feel they are appropriate words to say to the Deceiver.) I then ask God to fill my heart with truth instead. Ah, it is so freeing. Just recognizing that I’m being lied to is SO FREEING!!!!

I mentioned my recent struggles to a friend of mine who told me, “Oh Laura. I’ve had a Superwoman cape in my closet for years. It just doesn’t fit. Through the years, every time I’ve pulled it out and tried it on…it just doesn’t fit. I’ve stopped trying to wear it.”

Hmm. My Superwoman cape doesn’t fit either. Every time I try to wear it I trip over it and fall on my face. I’d best leave it in the back of my closet. (or burn it!)

And…God’s truth is this: I don’t need to be a Superwoman. I simply need to be His.


I am learning how true this is. Day by day. Baby steps. I, too, keep trying on that cape that I really wanted to make fit. But as each day as a mother of 5 goes by I am coming to terms with the fact that there are more fun things out there than wearing that silly cape. I am finding real JOY in my current role. More than ever! I can feel my soul evolving and I enjoy it. And it's bigger than a matter of dishes or making beds. Those things help my sanity a bit, but they don't bring me the full joy I'm seeking. Most of the journey has involved me being patient with myself. That's something I had been unwilling to do up to this point.

SO, a lot of discovery in the 11 weeks since this beautiful baby has come into my life. Maybe I'll have it all together by the time she is aware of things. Or maybe I won't, and that's ok too.




7 comments:

  1. I hear it clicks, about the time the last one moves out. I also heard, they start making their beds on their own when they get their own place.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you say you feel joy- more than ever. Wow. Nice to hear that. I'm putting my cape away! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen. I love reading your blog. You always say just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, you are such a great example to me, and you always have been. Thanks for sharing that quote, it is so true, and I really needed to hear it. It's so funny how Satan tries to drag moms down. He makes us feel frustrated, frumpy, and incapable of living up to the ridiculously high standards we give ourselves. I just need to learn to tell him to "Shut Up!" Thanks again. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I alway feel better when I read your words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A comment to your comment on my blog, yes, same lamps. You had a link on your blog and i Looked and loved, then I went to show Trent the next day and they were down to 55$, I thought, must be a sign. That room has no light in it either, so it needed some lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new layout. Did you make it? If not, where do you get such cute ones?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!