Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oxygen

I was reading one of the blogs I follow, 320 Sycamore, and she wrote about the analogy of the flight attendant.  We know we should put our oxygen mask on before attempting to do so for our children.  We must take care of us because, really, who else will?  They depend on us, so we must be available and alert emotionally.  We need oxygen.

I think I'm getting much better about that as I get older.  I don't feel guilty for putting boundaries on my mommy availability time nearly as much as I used to. 

What gives you the oxygen you need to breathe clearly? I'd love it if you'd blog about it too.



Here is what helps me.


If I'm tired I try to nap.  Sounds simple, huh?  But I used to not do that and try to plow through life like the baby's naptime could only be filled with my chores.  Baloney. 

I absolutely need regular crafting time.  I can totally feel when it's been too long since I've created.  (Like now).

Go for a tiny indulgence.  I like to grocery shop late at night when I can add and keep track of coupons without wiggly toddlers.  And then while I'm out I might grab a drink somewhere for a $1.  Or a junior bacon cheeseburger for $1.  Or stop at the library and browse till they close.  There no money for fancy pedicures or lunch at a cafe, but a tiny splurge is usually just enough to make me feel "paid" for the hard work I do.

I cherish my evenings when the kids are asleep.  I don't really have time for tv, but at night I might jump on Netflix and catch a couple episodes of a show I like.  I occasionally watch a movie with Strider.

I read when I can.  I always make sure my scriptures are read first and then I like to have a novel in my purse for whenever I have a few moments of quiet.

I have started asking for more help.  *GASP*.  If I'm tired and it's getting late and I still have to load the dishwasher, switch the laundry, fix a button on someone's pants for school, and find a soccer jersey - I ask Strider to pitch in on one or more.  If I'm specific with what I need (the key to man's brains) he is the hugest help ever.  While he was finishing his degree I got in the habit of assuming he was too busy and tried to do it all myself.  Now that he's more available I am retraining myself to ask and I'm a LOT more satisfied.


All these things help me stay motivated (most of the time) and sane.  Not GUILTY, which is the important goal.  I love my kids so much more when I get to do fun things too!



1 comment:

  1. I have been kind of struggling on how to balance all of these things..thanks for this post. It really gave me some good ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!