Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Spread the love



Last night for Family Home Evening our family made homemade valentines.  We were preparing for a trip to a local care center tonight to visit a man from church who lived in our neighborhood but is there now.

The kids worked so hard on their creative masterpieces.  All day today they asked when we were going.  They really wanted to deliver some Valentine cheer to him and to hopefully many others.

As we pulled into the parking lot I gave them a pep talk and a bit of an overview of this place and what it would be like when we went in.  I warned them of what the elderly can be like, of what sights and smells they may encounter.  I encouraged them to not be shy and to just be nice (they fought like cats and dogs ALL afternoon).


We walked in and found our neighbor.  After a bit of a visit there, the kids were chomping at the bit to start delivering. We left Strider talking with him and decided to walk around the halls and visit residents who could use a valentine and a smile.

I was in utter amazement at my children as I watched them serve these strangers - all these grandpas and grandmas of other grandchildren.  All these military vets and paralysis victims.  Those with Alzheimers and Parkinsons.  Their inhibitions were gone after a stop at the very first room and they went forward boldly ministering to the aged, the needy, the sick.  I fought back tears most of the night as we went from bed to bed offering up conversation and hugs and smiles for so many.

We talked to dozens of people and they were so very excited to be visited by loving children holding no prejudice or fears.  Some of them held and stared at the valentine like a treasure.  They said "Thank you, Thank you!" over and over. 

A nurses aide tapped me on the shoulder and said "You have made their night! This is the neatest thing! My baby is just an infant, but this is what I want to do with her when she's older".

One of the first men we gave one to was still in the hall in his wheelchair as we headed out an hour later.  But this time he was asleep and as we passed him he was clutching our valentine card in one hand and his medicine cup in the other.  I wish I had a picture.

I don't remember a family gathering so rewarding as this.  The kids were overheard saying "That was awesome!" ..."This is so fun" ..." She was really nice!" ..."That was so cool!"  As Strider and I left the building we felt as if we would just float away.  It was the greatest family night ever.  Honestly.  We might have brightened a few spirits but I'd have to argue that we were the ones who were uplifted the most tonight.

 
Take the chance to spread love this week - someone needs it!  Isn't that all anybody wants?  Just to feel loved.  You can touch another life (and bless your own) and it will cost nothing but your time. 

6 comments:

  1. That is so neat, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is something I really want to do with my kids too. What age do you think is good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are an amazing women:) Your kids are so lucky to have you! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea Brother.P was in there. What a great idea...you guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing idea! I have to admit I sobbed the whole time I read this post, just picturing the boys being so nice and being put out of their comfort zone. That was such a good idea of time to spend with your family. We will definitely have to start doing this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!