Friday, January 15, 2010

Hanging Hearts

I am definitely in my happy place.

A month till Valentines - time to decorate!

I loved the hang your heart garland on Little Birdie Secrets and decided to copy her. Well, except for the fact that she had a real pattern and real sewing skills. But pretty much copy.

I decided on a shabbier look by using various scrap fabrics instead of being all matchy-matchy and I totally love it!  I found all the pinks and browns I could.  Some are felt and some are cotton.  All have ribbon for hanging and are stuffed with batting and no two are alike.








My only real issue was hand-finishing that little part of the seam that
you leave open to turn right side out and stuff it.  How in the world
do you make that part look good?



After I strung them on a ribbon we used a thumb tack to attach
it to the top of the shelf on each side.  It worked perfectly.






I think I forgot to mention my intent to bore you with too many pics.  I couldn't help myself.

And here is the loveliness at night.



14 comments:

  1. That is adorable!!! I bet that was a fun project to work on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I just finish the opening by stitching a neat row on the outside of whatever you're making. It gives it a more primitive look, which works perfectly since that's what you were going for anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, hello? If you don't have "real" sewing skills you sure fooled me.

    I'd finish that little part with hot glue ;)

    ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hearts are adorable! Your sewing skills are great! I love the pictures with the lits out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute way to go!! I think I need to get myself a seasonal shelf so I can do fun stuff like that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and think I will start me one today. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that you didn't use matching fabric, its so cute! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't speak from personal experience because I detest hand sewing and always cheat and use the machine, but an apron pattern I got recently advised to use a "ladder stitch" because it's supposed to be invisible. I sewed right over that part with the machine and yes, the ladder stitch would have been nicer. But oh well! The hearts look great to me however you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so cute! What a great idea for holiday decorating. I just might have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this LBS and loved it! Good for you for making one up! It is beautiful! Thanks for linking up at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!