Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Contentment and balance

Anybody out there also on a roller coaster? I feel like a teenager sometimes with how quickly my emotions and demeanor flip flop all over the place.

Some days I go from being happy to frustrated to laughing to overwhelmed about a thousand times a day. My poor family. I crave the even-keel, the steadiness I observe (falsely?) in others.



My good friend loaned me this book for the month of August. It was very insightful and I needed to hear those words. Helped me realize that I need to gain perspective and that the power to see purpose in my everyday actions is mine. It is up to me to realize how much nurturing my family can bring peace. It is my job to show the family I serve each day the joy I feel in doing so. We were not put here for drudgery. My loads of laundry, helping with endless homework, giving pointers on handling the bully in class - these are my service and what brings fulfillment to life. I don't want it any other way, nor would I do it differently. It's all my life and part of the plan.
Fast forward to General Conference this weekend. What did I learn? That I need to begin looking elsewhere more. Seek out more selfless acts. My service at home is priority. But when things are "too much" I will feel the "UGH, why are they calling me MOM again" feeling subside more easily as I serve my fellow sisters. My weariness at home can be occasionally cured out of the home.
I have felt strongly lately the purposes of sisterhood and the bonds formed through visiting teaching will only be fully realized when we give of ourselves from the heart. Not only when we feel we have nothing left to give others, but sometimes especially then. I know when I have tested this that it is the case.
When I am sure that I am too busy or too depleted, nothing recharges my spirit more than visiting someone or showing my love to them. Sometimes at home with the fighting and chores and bah bah bah I don't get that. It is wonderful there but I am only complete when I give my all in AND out of the home. My patriarchal blessing says that others will need to lean on me. I need to do more to have my shoulder ready.
I am now striving for balance so that I can feel true contentment. I have many roles in life, and while I can't be everything to everyone all the time, I can spend a lot more of my time being something to someone.


4 comments:

  1. thanks for the great reminder to happily serve in and out of the home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post Jen, can I just tell you that you have compeletly echoed my feeling of late! I'll have to put that book on hold through the library, it looks like something I need to read. I also need to find contentment in my home and time to serve others. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance as a mom has to be the hardest. thing. ever.

    Don't let yourself feel inadequate, you are doing great things. Remember that as moms we are looking "outward" even when we are caring for the "inward" growth of our littles. *hug*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!