Monday, May 10, 2010

Because I am a mom


My parenting philosophy
(hurry and read it - it will be different tomorrow)



1. Don't buy toys. Unless you have no grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc in your kids' life. If you have any of those then they will supply you with an endless amount of mess playthings.

2. When it doesn't matter, say YES.

3. It's okay to not love kid games. Get them started, stay nearby, and do your own thing, that's what I say.

4. If you want the best odds of having your kids love to read, have books EVERYWHERE, teach them that books are to be respected, and read often yourself.

5. Stop comparing your kids. It never makes anything better.

6. Sometimes they will hate you. If you are doing the right thing it will bring a little comfort, but it still hurts. Bad.

7. Cooking double will not mean you have an extra meal to put away for another day. They will just eat double the amount.

8. Parenting is a delicate balance of wanting to give your kids everything and at the same time teaching them to expect nothing. Gratitude will get you further in life than you expect.

9. Teach them early how to pump on the swings.

10. One parenting indescretion will set you back light years in the eyes of a child. Eons of diligence can be erased in a blink. I stare this fact in the face way more often than I am comfortable with.

11. Buy extra bike tubes.

12. Buy lots of bandaids.

13. Kids want you to see their point of view, not fix their problems. Most tattling around here gets an answer like "Oh, I'm so sorry that happened to you!" or "I bet that wasn't fun!".

14. Buy enough popsicles to share with the neighborhood.

15. If the contention is out of control, there are two possible reasons. Either you (mom) are being contentious or they need to get outside and play. It's usually that simple.

16. Preteens are exasperating, but so sincere. And they force you to be the same. They are masters at seeing right through a line of bull, so be real and give it to them straight up - just like they deserve.

17. All the details and money and planning you invest for a big trip/milestone/event will mean very little.  The simple things that just *happen* are the foundation for most of their memories.

18.  It's good for kids to work HARD.

19.  Teach kids to write thank you notes, make RSVPs, and do socially disappearing niceties.

20.  I pretty much have no idea what I'm talking about. Just do what feels right for your family.







6 comments:

  1. Next year we are planning to go to "Sherwood Golf and Spa". It is up sardine canyon. Kind of closer to Logan. My older sister and her hubby have an anniversary in May also, so we are thinking it would be fun to do a couples trip. But who knows, things change so fast. Shawn is just worried that it won't be warm enough to golf. What are your plans....maybe I will do what you do. That is the tradition isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love #7.....all of these are so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this -- I agree with lots of them. Like #3, after I had my second child, I figured I'd earned the right never to play Candyland again -- I gave my children siblings for a reason!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I've bookmarked yours and I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I love this post! I love YOU! You are so amazing, and such a great example to me. I always tell my mom I want to be like you. :) These are all SO true! Especially the toy comment- Manuel and I have stopped buying the boys toys for their birthday and go easy at Christmas too. No one else will buy them clothes and educational things- they just aren't any fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!