Monday, December 1, 2008

Early Christmas

So, we've had a bit of a couch ordeal around here lately.

First, let me start by saying that I enjoy sitting on a good couch. Call me weird. But I do think it's appropriate to have seating in the living areas of the house.

The problem is that my crazy kids treat couches like an enemy to be destroyed. They would need one made of steel in order for it to last. But that's not quite all that comfy, is it? The kids don't run all over the house breaking everything I own, but they do have severe issues with sofas and the like.

Consequently, we don't buy new couches in this family. We haven't for years. I've been buying used ones from the classifieds every year or so. It works better that way. They are already 'broken in' and I don't get nearly as mad when they get ripped and worn out.

Two weeks ago I had had it with our current ripped family room couch and offered it for free in the classifieds to anyone who needed it. Simultaneously I arranged my sister's truck and sent hubby almost a half hour from home to buy a leather couch I thought would work great for us. It was cold out, and he bought it from a lady who was storing it in her garage. Then I had to leave. I was gone until the couch had been in our house for a few hours. Upon inspection it was quite clear that the couch came from a smoking household. My pregnant self was not handling the fumes very well. Apparently the warm house had brought out odors just not detected in a cold garage.

I tried to contact the seller to no avail. Um, time out here. Status? No money; no couch. Nice.

For a week and a half we sat on folding chairs for our movies. We sat on the floor for games. We moved Princess' daily nap to a bed. We were surviving but I was grumpy. My nesting instincts were being thwarted.

Once we got back from the Thanksgiving cabin, I once again started searching the furniture listings. I saw a couch that had been listed earlier in the week that was just reduced if it were to sell that day. I contacted the seller and here we are:




I am very happy with it! It's comfortable and sturdy. The stripe pattern is kinda cool, if not really my first choice in style. If you've seen these couches at IKEA you know they sell tons of changeable covers. So down the road we have more options, too. Merry Christmas to me!


4 comments:

  1. Awesome, it's my style so I really like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great! I'm glad it worked out in the end. Out of curiousity...What did you end up doing with the other couch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that couch is so cute. Merry Christmad in deed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!