Thursday, October 30, 2008

This hurts me more than it hurts you


I had a tough parenting decision to make last night.

I had to evaluate a child and their worthiness for something, so to speak. I vacillated for a couple hours and then decided I had to be the bad guy, say "NO", and make it a teaching moment.


I prayed for guidance to use the right words and it really helped.


It wasn't popular but I believe he understood.


I know it's rough to be a kid sometimes, and that you feel a lot of the time that your parents just don't *get it*. But I also know that it's my job to guide and direct. Natural consequences are my parenting friend. I love it when it works out so that I can logically explain my reasoning. "Because you chose A, you will experience B".


But it's still very hard to have that talk with the "student". It hurts my heart a little.

Even though I'm doing the right thing.


1 comment:

  1. But later, maybe years later they'll understand and appreciate you for it. BTW you will be raising my kids. Or write a book so I know what to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!