Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 15

Day 15-Dream house



My dream house - that's a loaded question.

I love our current location. It's very convenient and easy to get to and we have good neighbors. The house is teensy weensy. Like so many people say, we thought it was our starter home - and we're still here (almost 14 years later). I did the math; we have 167 sq feet per person. It's crowded.

Two years ago we almost moved. We found the house we wanted. We had called a realtor. The market was (and still is) crap, and we were discouraged that none of the comparable homes in the neighborhood were selling. It just would be impossible for us to get an offer of what we needed.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about that house all. the. time. It was twice the size of this one, it was about an hour from here - in the "country", it had everything I thought would make me happy. My sister, who only lives about 15 min from that location, text me a picture of that house last year when she saw it for sale again. My heart ached, and I kept that pic and looked at it often.

I don't know how long we will be here, but I learned I need to be happy about my current circumstances. Thinking about what I don't have makes me sad, and who wants that?

I kind of wish I could show you that picture but a month ago I deleted it from my phone. I am choosing to be content.

3 comments:

  1. can totally feel your pain! I have been trying to remarry my house that I divorced last year when we put it on the market. everytime i think oh my gosh this house is so small. i think of how excited i was to have a home of my own. CONTENT...thanks for the reminder:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to be content where we are. It's so easy to want what you don't have. I'm the opposite and want a smaller house. We have so much unused space. I can't keep it clean and it's expensive. We did move from a tiny duplex, and I love our area, but wish we went to the next step up of a smaller home instead of the bigger one. We never wanted to move again, so bought one that we could stay in forever. Yet I want to move to a smaller and simpler life. I will be content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just before I read your blog I was thinking..'Ugh, we need more room!'. But, like you I have to remind myself that I am happy, content and grateful to have a home.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!