Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Back to the grindstone

Being married to a teacher is an interesting thing.


Fact: There is never enough time in the day to get all the planning and grading done. Period. Even when he gets home on a school day there is tons of stuff to do.

Fact: They do not get three months off from school. Strider has less than two months before having to be back in the classroom (June 10-Aug 4).

Fact: Teachers have to love what they are doing or there is no way they would work the long hours for such low pay. Strider started another job yesterday because we can't survive to just have him "home" during these two months.

Fact: Before he got this other job I thought I would go crazy with him here at home all the time. Now he's working again after only having two days off and I miss him :(


5 comments:

  1. Where did he get another job at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: Are you talking like Dwight on purpose? lol jk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a SIL that was a special ed. teacher. And, yes, you HAVE to LOVE what you do. Especailly in JH. My oldest has one right now, that doesn't, and it has been a rough year. Tell him thank you for me would you? It is truely a job deserving of more pay for these good people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know so many teachers and worked closely with them in my last job. It is such a hard job, and I really respect people that take on a job that carries low pay and even lower respect (as indicated by the comments like "you get 3 months off" etc.) It is a job that has an incredibly huge emotional buy-in into the life-success of the children you work with too.

    THANK YOU to your DH for helping to educate the next generation. I get how hard it is, and I don't know if I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that the way it goes. When Damian was traveling I missed him terribly but when he was home and home all day it drove me nuts because it threw off my schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!