Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Independence Day




Yes, I took that picture. That was part of the finale at our hometown fireworks display last year.

I love fireworks. This year for the first time we will watch them in a different town, but I'm looking forward to being with my sister.

If you look on the sidebar over there >>>>> you'll see my list of recent books read. I have had a bit of fascination with holocaust survival stories lately, as the last three books were all from WWII Germany and Poland. I want to whole-heartedly recommend In My Hands that I just finished yesterday. It is so far my favorite historical book on the subject. It's a real story, which is different from Striped Pajamas and Book Thief, and it probably why it was so good to me. Reading these things leading up to July 4th has been interesting as well. What a hopeful, scary, admirable, unstable world we live in. Yet I think it's always been that way. Maybe it's getting a bit worse, but evil has always been evil, and good ultimately prevails. Sometimes the righteous suffer but God is watching.

I love my fortunate circumstances. I love that I can wake up every day and choose what to do and say. Happy Birthday, America!!

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!