Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The big reveal

I finished my craft area. Remember THIS post? Yeah, it was nine months ago. Can anyone say "new baby"? So I had reasons that it took me so long. But it's organized and pretty. I have room to scrap, to make cards, and even to sew! That was a last minute suggestion by Strider and it's my very favorite part of the space. I can now sew at any time. I can even leave a project at dinner time and come back to it later without having to move it all off the kitchen table. Genius. It's literally a place of peace where I can also think and write or meditate.





Are you ready for a tour?





Walk up the stairs with me. This is what you see. It's a hall/loft that is now very functional.

It's a dark spot, so the lighting is funky.




(Oh, and take a good look at that kids bedroom to the left. That's the cleanest it will be for the next year I'm sure).










This is the main part to the right. Starting at the right of this picture is the family/office stuff. The library basket is the white one, and the pencil sharpener is in front of it. The edge of the black desk has my coupon file trays and a small bin for tape and scissors. Essentially this will keep the kids on this 'edge' and out of my other part. The red tackle box on the floor is my sewing box (thread, needles). Totally sexy. You are so jealous of me.






Here is the sewing machine my mom got me right before we got married (I think). While I was pregnant with Rosebud last fall I began to teach myself how to sew and I made pillows for the family room and a few baby things. I also have my trays for cardstock and paper.





This is more kid stuff like colored pencils, crayons and markers, spelling things, flash cards, construction paper, etc. The drawers on the left hold some my things like embellishments, lettering, large tools (crop-a-dile) and such.



Sorry, a bit out of order. This is the stuff near the library basket again. Blank cards in the bottom drawers, stamp sets above them, and fabric folded in the top drawer. LOVE seeing all my fabric together. The navy bin on the ground holds my 12x12 papers. I don't have a better way of storing them yet :( The yellow boxes in between are greeting cards.




OK, on the other side then. First you see my thrifted bulletin board and my lovely tilt bins.

My mom gave me these years ago and they finally hold what they need to and are completely organized. Maybe I'll print labels someday or I might just leave them in my handwriting. There are categories like adhesives and ink pads and chipboard. I think this spot is positively yummy to stare at.



Next is my lovely little lamp and basket of current card swap projects, next to silver bins from DI and ...




... little jars for little things. I have ribbon pieces and paper flowers on display. I made that chipboard sign that says "imagine~create~discover."





Here I have adhesives, pens, envelopes and theme albums.





Sorry, out of order again. Behind the sewing machine you can see shallow containers that hold my small embellishments like fibers and buttons as well as metal brads, eyelets and letters/words.





Up on top I have more drawers for markers, paper scraps and stuff, plus a cute pic of my family just taken over the weekend at the new temple open house.


Not shown is my slots for current pages in the works and projects I'm in the middle of. I also have near my feet (when seated) my kids' current albums. I have decided to let go of my photo guilt and do a baby book for each kid, plus some extra things like school or scouts. The rest will be put in a box for them to have when they get older. See? Everyone's happy and I can manage that task. Probably.

And I forgot to mention, my budget was...let's see.. Zero. I had to make do with what I had on hand. Not too bad, but it's a little hodge-podgey. I like it though.

Overall I am super thrilled at the way things are accessible now. The layout make sense and is logical for me. I think it will get me off the computer and "creating" more, which is awesome. I find myself just going over to my chair a lot. I even sewed today!

10 comments:

  1. love love love it! I just went to a "house of order" enrichment and you could've taught it! Seriously it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my friend that is AWESOME! I am so stinkin jealous that you have everything so organized! mine is still in a heap somewhere and so therefore NO creative outlet except for coloring:O) I do have a place for the crayons to live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome! Do you want to come help with mine next!? Don't you love that clean and organized feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you've been busy. I miss the loft, I erally like the set up of those homes.
    Enjoy! I'm sure it will be, and already has been well used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Maybe you should come and organize my space. I took over a corner of the family room but it way out of control! I love your corner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you. It is a perfect use of all your space. The hard part would be to keep the kids out. But I bet they are already trained to do that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I don't do many crafts, but I want a craft room just so it can be all organized, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you used your clean house as an oppotunity to share your tour with us VIA pictures!
    You did a great JOB! if only we all could have out creative spots as clean and organized!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You put me to shame. I envy how organized you are. Maybe it will rub off on me. Looks GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awsome way to use that funny little loft space. I love it!!! I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!