Monday, February 22, 2010

Firsts and lasts

warning:  long post


The birthday

Potter had quite the weekend!  His 12th birthday was on Sat.  He is such a fun kid.





He chose a couple close buddies and they played all day.

The conference




The women I get to work with at church are wonderful.  I got to serve with them as we prepared a women's conference for our stake (group of 7 LDS congregations in our town).  We fed ladies physically and spiritually and it was a great day.  I love them.  And yes, we made 150 pincushions to go with our theme: "Your Life as a Quilt - making it beautiful, functional, and an heirloom".  I was very uplifted.

The award

Bugs got our family's one and only award in Science Fair, ever.  He did the whole project with a friend, without parents.  They got third place!  And the best way to keep an apple from browning?  The freezer!

The special day




Those who are of our faith know that turning 12 for a young man is a big deal.  We had our closest family (still a huge group!) with us to support us.  Man, he looks old in that suit!

Closing a chapter



So in the past two days, my first baby turned into a young man, and my last baby was weaned.  No, I didn't plan it to happen on the same day.

Of course I have mixed feelings over being done nursing.  Rosebud was almost ready, I was completely ready.  We had been declining feedings for the last month in preparation for the split.  But this morning as I woke up after our second full 24 hours weaned I felt a sharp pang in my heart.  I am so blessed that I was able to carry and bear and nourish five children with this body I was given.  I am eternally thankful for each experience I have had doing so.  But that unique temporary bond that I had with each child is now over for the final time.  Gosh, I love babies.  I know we are *done*, but that doesn't mean I'm not in mourning a tiny bit.


I feel like I am being yanked back and forth through the rigors of motherhood at an alarming rate. As my kids are growing into new stages I find myself giving slightly less physically to raise them, but three times as much mentally.

Now my kids need me in new ways.  It's exciting but scary.  My older children need me to be more in tune to their feelings and more sensitive to their needs and moods.  I have to look at their face and decode if it was a good day or a bad day, as they don't volunteer the info very often.  My younger children get a different mom than the older two.  I am far busier now, and I'm no longer a mom to just little ones.  I am spread a touch thinner over my increased demands, and yet I owe them the same time and caring as I did the others.  I need to be more efficient in my personal life so that all the stuff (me, kids, marriage, home, church, finances) still gets attention. 

                  
I wish I could remember my mom at this age.  As the oldest of six, I know kids are demanding and all-consuming.  But think about it - you only remember the way your mom parented you as of your teen-hood.  Most of us moms can't remember with our past "kid minds" how mom juggled it all when we and our siblings were all young and taking over her life.  So this is an interesting stage where we get to wade through the waters sort of alone.  Oh, I know we have friends and peers to bounce ideas off of, and share our struggles with.  But we need to largely figure this puzzle out for US and OUR family.  It's kind of a neat adventure.

As this chapter closes I am trying to embrace the new-and-constantly-improving family I was asked to supervise.  They might not all need me to hold their hands to cross the street anymore but I pray I can still be there at every turn in the road and keep them safe and out of the traffic of the world when they need me to.




5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new chapter. Sounds like you're doing great. Be sure to share so those of us that are behind can learn from you.
    That's awesome your family is so big and all come to support. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This new time is fun, exciting, scary and a little overwhelming; not only for mom but for the whole family.
    Jenna started kindergarten the same year Tia started high school and I remember having those same feelings. I quit my job because I wanted Jenna to have the same stay at home mom the older girls have. Well I am not the same mom, but I hope I am the mom she needs.
    Its scary but you are doing a great job.

    Oh and by the way? The women's confrence was FANTASTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man your little guy almost looked like a missionary!!!!! I have all of those same feelings. When your child tells you they think they need to learn to shave it SCARES me to death! Let me know how you handle it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys did amazing at the conference. I loved every minute of it.

    I am so proud of Potter. He will do so grat in the YM's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post. I cant believe that you have a 12 year old!!! He is so handsome:) I love the way you put into words all of a mothers feelings and thoughts. Cant wait to get together:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!