Friday, July 24, 2009

Sewing! part 2

I miss you, Grammy.



After my grandma died I went back to PA on a trip to help go through a little of her stuff. One thing I came across was a pale pink woven coverlet with beautiful fringe. It was torn on one corner, a little stained in a few areas, and there was a moth-eaten hole. But I remembered it. It reminded me of her bedroom which was magical to me.

I remembered it draped over her bed when we were just hanging around in her room. I remembered how she thought all my stick figure drawings were so great and she hung them on the wall next to her bed. She had a billion lotions and potions on her dresser and we would sit on her bed and sample them all. The door to the attic was in her room. She had hat boxes and memorabilia in that attic landing next to her bed; the attic that was spooky to me and I never wanted to go up there without her.





So I sat with this piece of fabric in my hands. If I brought it to my face and breathed in really deeply I could smell her.

I wanted that blanket. My uncle was going to toss it and I rescued it from the trash. After all, in its time it was a wonderful bed linen. My grammy didn't buy junk. And that s-m-e-l-l.



I brought it home to Utah where it has resided under my bed for years. I bring it out and sniff it occasionally.

I was clearing out some household items to donate to Salvation Army this week and I saw the old coverlet again. It is still SO soft. Yep, I can still smell her house. Unbelieveable.


I thought "Maybe it's just time to toss this thing. It's so old and I never use it". I then I asked myself why I didn't use it.


I decided to get rid of the bad part and hem the raw edge. I cut off the end with the hole and the corner tear. It ended up about 3/4 of the original width. That's ok.

And I know I need to wash it and that after I do the smell will be gone. That's okay too. I'm ready to let that go.

I always felt special to my Grammy for a lot of reasons. But most importantly I was her first grandkid. And after raising three boys I was the first "daughter" she got.



I explained the project to my Princess - what it was and what I was doing with it. She said "Maybe I can put it on my bed"!

Ok, Princess, maybe you can. After all, after having three boys, you're the first daughter I got.

6 comments:

  1. Truly touching! I love memories like that. I kept a shirt of my grandpas so that I could eventually make a teddy bear out of it for the kids (I haven't done it yet... and keep thinking I should just get rid of it, but haven't been able to yet). And yes, his smell is still in it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I still have nightgowns of grammy's that I still try to get a smell out of. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! I was reading it and started to tear up just thinking about how much I miss her too! The blanket looks beautiful--she'd love it :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I needed a good cry today? That is great you saved it and I totally understand the smell thing. Your awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I am crying reading this post. I wish I could smell her house right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a touching post. When I was 16, my best friend was killed in a car accident. Her mom gave me one of her favorite t-shirts. I kept it my dresser but would get it out from time to time and smell it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!