Friday, December 18, 2009

Merry Christmas, Africa

My baby brother Matt, on a mission in Mozambique



Dear Africa,

I have never visited you; most likely never will. All I know about you is from National Geographic and letters from a missionary.

A few months ago we sent you something very special, our precious Elder Brown. Anyone who knows him knows he prepared his whole life to be there with you. He didn't choose the location but he was preparing nonetheless. He is the most dedicated, intelligent hard-working and selfless man for the job, period.

So far you have taken good care of him. As he appraoches his 6 month mark (1/4 of the way) this week I know that you have started to show him some of your character, your African soul. He loves you already.

I know many of your inhabitants are poor, very poor. Not even in circumstances I could imagine, probably.

It makes me sad to hear that someone there took my mother's heart when they intercepted and signed for the specially chosen, lovingly packed, securely FedEx shipped and insured Christmas package.

Yes, there were a couple hundred dollar's worth of things my baby brother needed or wanted. But there were tangible expressions and also words from a mother at home who knows no other way to transport Christmas a world over. She sent it early, she sent it as suggested, and still her son is without a gift from home. Her last bird is out of the nest and she is sad and lonely this December.

I hope that whomever needed the protein supplements, makeshift Christmas tree, peanut butter, church books, camera memory cards and much more can use them. Maybe they will even share them this Christmas. I wonder if they will read the special Christmas message from Mom? Or The Book of Mormon?

So, dear Africa, we have left our hearts wide open and have given you the very best we had, via plane and post. Our brother is in your keeping. Please treat him well. I hope you can feel the influence of good this holiday season throughout your many beautiful countries.

And maybe that Christmas package will change the life of its recipient, if not the intended one. Change it for the better and leave the world, and Africa, a better place. After all, it's what my brother is wearing out the soles of his shoes for every. waking. minute.

Merry Christmas!

Love,
our family

















6 comments:

  1. Jen, What a beautiful, heartbreaking letter. I'm sorry to hear that that happened. I'm sure the Lord has something planned as a result of this sad thing. Hopefully your brother and mom can forgive and continue to love the people of Africa. Let your brother know that we pray for the missionaries everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing happened to my Grandparents in Hawaii. The next week the postman had on the sweater we had sent them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry. I sent a Halloween package (from the YW in our ward) to a missionary serving in Honduras and the same thing happened. To send the package was more expensive than what was in it, and he didn't know it was coming, so it's definitely not the same. Our poor elders/sisters and families who serve where this is commonplace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad. Hopefully whoever took it needed it more...I love your positive attitude in hoping that they may still reap benefits despite their dishonesty. Best of luck to him, sounds like he has an amazing family at home supporting him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad.
    We sent a bunch of packages to my parents in the Philippines. So far they've received 2 (of the smaller ones). I'm worried the same thing has happened.
    Nice to hear your brother is doing well and loving his mish. Sounds like he will change many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful expression! I feel so bad about the package your mom sent! Leave it to you though to make the best out of it and hope it maks someones life a better one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!