Monday, July 27, 2009

Sewing! part 3

Finally!

I have been working on this simple project for over a week. Thanks to a decent Rosebud nap today and happily playing children I am done.

Like I told my sister, please don't rate the difficulty of my sewing projects by the length of time it takes me to complete them. Anything done in 5 minute chunks is bound to take a while. But since I still know next to nothing in the sewing department, rest assured this is easy.

So I got a new machine and it came with a cheap plastic cover. Functional but not so purty.



I wanted to match my thrifted bulletin board and had tons of that fabric.

And searched online for an easy sewing machine cover.

Measured my machine to see if it would fit.

Added an inch to the depth because my machine is chunky.

And cut and sewed!

If I knew what I was doing I would have lined it or used batting to make it thick or quilted it or something. But I don't, so I didn't.

The sheet material is rather flimsy though, so I added this twill tape ribbon trim for a bit of weight at the bottom. I'm glad I did.


I was excited to take my hubby's suggestion and try one of the fancy stitches on my machine, too.



Oh, and I found the pattern here.

Now I can protect my investment! :) And I love having another excuse to look at that gorgeous print.



6 comments:

  1. The cover looks great. Congratulations on your new machine. Hope you have many happy sewing moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are becoming quite the seamstress. Some day your girls will love you when you are doing prom dresses and wedding gowns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I'm very glad you posted this because I too am in need of a cover. I'll be making one ASAP. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive.
    Can't wait to see what else you sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job :) It's fun trying out the different stitches, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!