Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Book club - Guernsey

I was very excited to be the one to choose our book club selection this month. Upon recommendation I decided on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Here are a few pics of Guernsey Island:




I bet if I am ever missing, Strider might have success looking for me there. My goodness, it's as beautiful in the pictures as in the pages of this book.

We had a full and insightful discussion. I am always fascinated by how others can read the same things and see different pieces or teach me something new just by sharing their interpretations. One thing I also enjoy is the 20 year age range we have in our group which makes things so much more interesting than it would be with just thirty-somethings.

Reading about Guernsey was uplifting, even though the experiences written about life during the German Occupation in WWII are somewhat heartbreaking. I consider an author an artist if she (or he) can convey a feeling of hope and joy amidst a story of sorrow and trial. In other words, READ IT! As a bonus, it's only $6 now at Walmart and Amazon.

Now, on to the fun stuff.

Since my favorite season is autumn, which includes my favorite foods and decor, I was ultra excited for the hosting part of it. My ideas started with my friend Pam's book club last month.

I pulled together this hurricane centerpiece from this idea except I only used stuff I had around the house.

Not quite as classy, but free. It was pretty when lit. Oh, that's a battery candle, by the way.

I was up baking by 6am. I knew I had to get at least 2 flavors of pie done before the hubster left.


First was blueberry pie and my first time doing a lattice top crust. My goodness they were so cute! Jedi told me as I put them in the oven that he thought they were fake and looked like a picture. I believe even Strider used the word "darling" (don't tell him I told you).

Here they are, baked and bubbly and yum.

Princess and I baked in little snippets throughout the day. Here she is doing the bananas for me.

Forgive the lousy, 7pm lighting, but here is the food. We had a full size pumpkin pie, individual sized apple crumb and blueberry pies, and little mini banana cream and peanut butter cream cheese pies. Oh mercy. It was so good.

It also gave me a chance to use my harvest goblets that I found for 50 cents each on clearance at Smith's and fell IN LOVE WITH. I think I have smiled every time I have seen them for the last three weeks.

The mini tins we from Orson Gygi in Salt Lake. Beware; they close at 6pm. Ask me how I know. The smallest tins are 3 inches and 9 cents each, the larger are 5 inches and 15 cents each.








I guess it was a hit, eh?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I want to be invited next time you host! And that looks like a cool place for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh... that was awesome!!! I am so happy for you. Everything turned out AMAZING! I wanted to lick the screen of the computer!(not really ... I am sure there are grems!) What a great night! Thanks for sharing!

    p.s. I am glad you loved the book:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOw beautiful. And it looked like you had so much fun. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fun. Love the decor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like such a great time. I'm now wondering if I should join a book club. And your pies looked Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture was taken as a joke, and should've been deleted right away punk. lol :-) Book club was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked that book up after you posted about it on Facebook....LOVED it!!! Pass on any other great ones your book club recommends! Cute table...everything looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just did that book last month too. What a great idea to do pie.
    I too love that our book club has a range of ages. I learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!