Thursday, May 8, 2008

May 8

May 8 is such a special day. It's the day you joined us and forever planted your unique stamp on our hearts. You were my second largest baby, yet it was my fastest labor, my simplist birth.

You are the one that has grown up slowly. Each birthday we say "He's been ___ years old for so long!" You were a baby forever. A toddler for the longest time. That clock is speeding up, and I know that, but thank you for allowing us to savor every day so far.

You are handsome and smart. You are kind and thoughtful.

You went to Chuck E Cheese last night with your grandparents and then fell exhaustedly into bed. When you woke up, the first thing you did was run to your desk to grab the treats you bought for your brothers with your prize tickets. That moment defines your character.

The one to sometimes need convinced that you deserve our love, you are consumed with empathy and thoughts of others and their well-being.
You are the ultimate example to Daddy and me. Will I ever be the soft heart that you are? Will I ever put the needs of everyone around me above my own as you masterfully demonstrate to me daily?

My little Jedi, I love being your mom. You...so handsome, easily distracted, bright, funny, with the quick temper. I love all of you. Your sandy hair and blueberry eyes and all of you. Your daydreaming and pretending when you should be cleaning your room. All of it.

Enjoy your special day, Mr six year old. And I'll enjoy mine too. Because you are in it.

5 comments:

  1. He is so cool to just hang out with. He's pretty witty for a six year old. And by the way...you are the best mom ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully writen. I wish i could put my thoughts into words half as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always write such good tributes to your children. I really need to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay that totally made me cry. Gorgeous and completely on-point. You captured that whole person very well in your few, wisely-chosen words. Bravo for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! I hope he had a fun birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!