Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Gratitude


There are those times in life when you don't feel deserving of something, and yet somebody gives you something anyway. Not something you asked for, just something they wanted to do. How do you react in such situations? Are you humbled? guilt-ridden? grateful? All of the above?

We speak of being a generous giver as well as a gracious receiver. I seem to struggle with both at times. Are you a better giver than receiver? I bet most people are.

How much does our lack of being a thankful recipient hinder another's blessings of giving? How does our Heavenly Father see it?

I am surrounded by people who love me. I don't always show them the love they deserve, but I try. Somehow my Heavenly Father loves me in spite of the weaknesses I possess. He knows what they are and I have to have faith that as I encounter them He is showing that He has a belief that I can overcome them. I suppose it's like an immunity. The more I am faced with the same challenges and struggles, the better I will get at withstanding and overcoming.

I am in a period of self-examination. You know, those times where you back up and look at yourself from the outside-in; as another person sees you instead of just the voice in your head and your face in the mirror.

I am filled with peace when I think of my life. Life is good. A great family, a warm home, a feeling of being needed. I have an abundance of blessings. What more could anyone ask for? I want my children to remember me as a grateful person. When I see Halloween in the stores being chased by Christmas stuff, I get a little sad that Thanksgiving is forgotten. I love the colors of green, brown and gold and everything they represent. Without that moment for our spirits to pause and ponder I believe something is lost.

5 comments:

  1. I loved your post! I have been meaning to check out your blog since Super Saturday, but just did today and I am so grateful for your post! It reminded me of what's really important and how much time I spend thinking about how hard/monotonous life is :) I really look up to you in many ways... hope you don't mind me saying that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the world forgets those things that should be most remembered like the blessings we have and gratitude we should give for that!
    The Lord gives us so much and yet we forget to thank him for all he gives, Saten sure does try hard to get the world to focus on the silly "THINGS" and yet it is the people and "NON-THINGS" that really mean the most in life!!
    It is funny how sometimes we have to take a step back and rethink what we can do to be better or how the Lord has helped us become the woman we are today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you have done this. I want you to know that I think you are an AMAZING person. You inspire me in so many ways! I want to be like you when I grow up! (and you are so taleted on the computer, its impresive. I agree that we (I) get so caught up in the non-important stuff that sometimes I need to stop, slow down and just be grateful for all I have been blessed with. Thanks for reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I am Diemutti's sister and found your blog from her's. I agree. There is nothing better than gratitude. It is like the last conference (Apr) where someone said He commands to be grateful because He knows that being grateful makes us happy. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, everybody. I'm blushing. It was just one of those days when I was the recipient of something and it started a whole tangent of thoughts on blessings. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!