Monday, October 29, 2007

Grizzlies 5, Steelheads 4



What a great family activity! My kids' elementary school offered free hockey tickets to each student for Friday's game, and additional tickets for half price ($8 each). So for $16 we decided it would be a fun family night.

It was the most exciting hockey game I have ever seen, with Utah down 4-2 going into the 3rd period, then tying it up with 14 seconds to go! We then won in overtime.

But, like most things in life, there was a down side, too. Little story....

DS2 was sitting next to me for the 2nd period. He kept talking about maybe buying a souvenier puck. He thought they were so cool. During the middle of the second period the mascot and some promo guys came to the section next to us and were tossing out pucks and t shirts. They weren't looking our way, but I told him to try anyway, and he was jumping around, hands in the air, etc. They finished and were headed back up the aisle, when one of the guys with a box of giveaways turned and looked right at DS2 and mouthed "you want one?" and tossed one right to him. I can't describe how excited he was, or how I felt watching him.

I can just picture his beaming face! He held that puck like a baby, tracing over the words "official game puck" with his fingers, telling me he was going to keep it with his ticket to mark the date he got it, even saying he would show his kids and grandkids. My other boys were a bit jealous.

We were into the end of the third period when the game was getting CRAZY and all of a sudden the puck was gone! It had been in his lap, but inexplicably it had vanished. He frantically began searching our row, the rows near us, asking nearby fans. His brothers, in a display of true charity, also looked their hardest and tried to comfort their brother. It was nowhere! Poor 7yr old ds had tears streaming down his face and began to sob.

You know, being a mom is a roller coaster. Yeah, I know it was just a piece of black plastic. But it wasn't just a piece of black plastic. Watching your children experience life is overwhelming joy and heart-pricking pain. I hate those helpless moments when there is nothing you want more then to remove the hurt, and yet nothing in your power will make that happen. We all felt ds's loss as we left that night, and my heart ached for him longer than I care to admit. He fell asleep in the car and when he woke up to head into the house he was still crying.

I'm glad that there are good times to balance out the bad. We know there will be both in this life and I'm grateful that one makes us thankful for the other. I just wish it wasn't so rough for my baby :(

Anyone know where to get a "official game puck" and maybe a hockey stick? I just may buy one for Christmas.

UPDATE********

Ebay has a puck. Hands, off. It's mine ;)

2 comments:

  1. oh so sad...it just wrenches my heart to think that the happiness that he had was dashed when the puck got lost!! I wonder if like sport stores have that kind of stuff?? Although it might not be grizzly stuff unless you go to there arena and buy it which is a TON of money!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried again when I read about it. I'm glad I read that you were looking for a puck though because I was about to go buy one this week. Let me know if you don't get the one on ebay, I'd be more than happy to buy one for you to give him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!