Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Firstborn


To my dear Potter, on your birthday,

I can't stop thinking about you today. Of what we both were doing 10 years ago this very minute. Of how we were bonding and getting to really know each other on the outside, just like we knew each other on the inside. I was SO tired, but so joyful. It was the greatest moment I had ever experienced when one final push brought you to your dad and me.

I am a mother and it is my greatest calling. But I was not one until you made it that way. You made me a mother. The reason I am called "mom" 56,924 times a day started with eight pound, seven ounce you.

We have had our times of harmony and times when we clash. We are so much alike in some ways, and your are your father's twin in so many others. You like to slow down and take in the surroundings while I'm usually impatiently pulling you along faster than you are comfortable with.

I don't tell you enough how great you are. I don't praise your good choices as I should. I do hope that I've taught you a little along the way. I hope you have learned how to love and how to forgive. I hope you have the desire to be a parent someday and do this for yourself.

Then you'll understand.

Love you forever,

mom

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this... It's a beautiful tribute! Tell Potter happy birthday from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!...10 years old. We hope potter had a wonderful birthday! Doesn't time fly by too fast?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!