Monday, February 18, 2008

Too MUUUUUCH


Oh my. Memo to aunts, uncles, grandparents and generous friends. PLEEEEEase stop buying my kids so much stuff.


We have very generous relatives and we are very blessed. We love you. But this house is too small and my kids are not given the chance to appreciate anything. They have about three times more stuff than they need and they lose or break half of it because it doesn't mean anything to them.


I remember desiring toys when I was little. Wanting something soooo bad. Thinking about it. Coveting a little. Circling it in catalogs, wishing, hoping. IF I got it eventually, it was the coolest, neatest thing I could ever imagine. It was ultra-special to me.


My children don't have that feeling of waiting, wishing, owning. Their toys and belongings are, for the most part, fleeting and disposable. They always know another toy is around the corner, and so what if toys A - B - C all get busted. They still have D - Z at their whim.


I'm not saying birthdays can't be fun. I'm not saying Santa needs to pass over our house without stopping. But we need to get reasonable. Who wants their money wasted or unappreciated? I sure don't. I can think of better things we can do. Bank accounts can grow and savings can accumulate. Children can be shown love and celebration without going overboard. I'm tired of cleaning it all up every week and I know they are tired of hearing me grumble everytime I do.



As a result, I have not been buying this year. I buy groceries & perishables, but I have not bought clothes, shoes, toys, books or household stuff. The back of my van is full of a thrift store load as we speak. I can't take it anymore.


It doesn't matter if this is the cutest item I've ever seen in a kitchen. Or if I would trade a child for a set of these. I'm done shopping. For right now.


Thanks. I feel better already.






4 comments:

  1. Great post! We are working on this in our family too...and I really believe that by simplifying and cutting back we've had a better spirit in our home.

    Lovely reminder of what is really important.

    Blessings,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, want to have a yard sale?

    I love that you want your kids to appreciate things. I soooo agree with you. We all need that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO true!!!! I sent out a huge email about this at Christmas time to the family - especially since we have a blended family, so my daughter has two sets of parents doing gifts, two sets of grandparents, a set of great grandparents....AUGH!

    I tried to kindly remind people that we're grateful but my daughter is having issues with being grateful, neat, and understanding how VERY much she has. Couples were asked to limit it to one item each person.

    Did they? Nope. *sigh*

    So now guess who gets to be the bad guy and go through her room and get rid of MORE stuff before her birthday comes in April, since I now know that I'll be ignored yet again..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you! I have been doing this at my house too. It just makes life so much easier, esp. when there is 7 people living in a less than 1000 sq. foot house!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!