Monday, April 28, 2008

Just like me

After being quoted in church yesterday (thanks, DW!) I got to thinking about how much our kids listen to what we say. Oh, they don't want us to believe they listen, but they surely do. Not only that, but they watch and copy us, too.


Last week after Princess said something, she turned to me and said "Mom! I sound just like YOU"


Yes, Princess, you do sound like me. Probably plenty of the less desireable sounds I make. Hopefully some of the good as well.


When I am pregnant I never know the sex of the baby - we enjoy the surprise. After having three boys I got asked constantly if we were 'trying for a girl now'. NO. Plain and simple. I wasn't trying for anything but a baby.


As a matter of fact, I remember crying to my mom while pregnant with #4. It seems as if one day it dawned on me that I had figured this boy thing out pretty well. I was comfortable with little guys. I knew what to expect. I was cool with that. And oh-my-heck-what-will-I-do-if-this-is-a-girl!


With the boys I was there to feed them and soothe tears. Comfort and teach. Encourage and mold. But their dad was the true example. I wanted them to be just like HIM when they were daddies. Big and strong and brave and not me.


If this was a girl, *I* had to be the one she would watch and emulate. YIKES! I did not want to be that person. I wasn't confident enough to be the role model.


Well, I think I've gotten over that shock, and I have no idea what I would do without her. But while I do feel comfortable being her mom, I need to constantly ask myself if I am being the mom I want HER to be when she is a mommy. What am I teaching when I react with frustration rather than understanding. What cues does she pick up about my love for home and family when she watches me serve them?


So yes, like most mothers and daughters we sound alike. And most people think we look alike. With this on my mind I also pulled out my baby book today and I suppose I could share some. I'm not cool enough for a scanner, so these are hi-tech photos of photos. 70's photos.


Any resemblance to my daughter? Yeah, the one with the party hat is my third birthday. I see a likeness.









2 comments:

  1. I love this blog! I thought the talk on Motherhood was so beautiful yesterday! We have such an important role in the lives of our children. I see my two girls talking and acting like me - and it really does make you step back and realize that your example as a mother is so important to the precious lives of Heavenly Father's children. They are gifts from above!

    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to tell you JM but your boys are going to grow up to be like you to. And by the way That is a very good thing. You are a wonderful mother!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!